Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) launched LADIS (Least Available Depth Information System) portal to provide real-time information on available depth on stretches of National Waterways (NWs). Information provided through this portal will help better planning for movement of vessels and ensure optimum use of NWs.
- It is hosted on IWAI’s website (www.iwai.nic.in) and has been developed in-house.
- It will provide details of least available depths (LAD) obtained from respective surveyors and regional incharge deputed with IWAI survey vessels which constantly move on NWs.
- Initially, it will provide information only for NW-1, NW-2, Indo-Bagladesh Protocol route and NW-3, along with date of survey. Later it will be expanded to other NWs also.
- It will facilitate day to day operations of inland vessels plying on NWs and to avoid any hindrance in service and operation.
Benefits of LADIS Portal
- It will ensure that real-time data on LAD is disseminated for ship/barge and cargo owners so that they can undertake transportation on NWs in more planned way.
- It will help transporters by guiding them on suitability of time of movement as it will provide assured depth of waterway required for seamless movement of vessels.
- It will enable vessel operators and cargo owners to prepare their sailing plans strictly as per applicable waterways related information (hydrographic survey reports, river Notices etc.).
- It will enhance credibility and efficiency of information sharing to achieve seamless operations on NWs, besides pre-empting problems that may occur during movement of vessels.
Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI)
- It is nodal body in charge of development and regulation of inland waterways for shipping and navigation. It functions under Union Ministry of Shipping.
- It is statutory body established under Inland Waterways Authority of India Act, 1985. It was established in October 1986. It is headquartered in Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- Functions: Build necessary infrastructure in inland waterways, survey economic feasibility of new projects and carry out administration and regulations of these waterways.
- Undertake projects for development and maintenance of inland waterways transportation infrastructure on national waterways.