State Bank of India (SBI) Managing Director Anshula Kant was appointed as Managing Director (MD) and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of World Bank Group. In her new role, she will be responsible for financial and risk management of World Bank Group, reporting to President David Malpass in Washington DC. She will also perform other key management duties including oversight of financial reporting, risk management, and working closely with World Bank CEO Kristalina Georgieva on mobilization of International Development Association (IDA) of WB and other financial resources.
About Anshula Kant
- She has completed BA, Economics Honours from Lady Shriram College and MA, Economics from Delhi School of Economics in 1981.
- She had joined SBI in 1983 as probationary officer. She rose through ranks to become MD. She also served as Chief General Manager of Mumbai SBI and was Deputy MD of Operations for National Banking Group. She also has served as Managing Director and member of Board since September 2018 (date of her superannuation was September 2020).
- Her expertise lies in retail banking, cross-border trade, corporate credit and banking in developed markets – both retail and wholesale.
- Currently, she is in charge of stressed assets, risk and compliance. She also served as CEO of the Singapore unit of bank. She also did commendable job during demonetization period.
- As CFO of SBI, she had managed $38 billion of revenues and total assets of $500 billion. Stewarding SBI, she has greatly improved capital base and focused on long-term sustainability of SBI within her mandate.
- During her stint in Singapore, she was responsible for launching retail operations for bank in Singapore, the first Indian bank to do so.