Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has approved the introduction of "The Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Teachers' Cadre) Bill, 2019 in the parliament. It will replace "The Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Teachers' Cadre) Ordinance, 2019".
Salient Features of Bill
- Reservation: It provides for reservation of teaching positions in central educational institutions for persons belonging to Scheduled Castes (SCs), Scheduled Tribes (STs), and the socially and educationally backward classes (SEBCs).
- Reservation of posts: It provides for reservation of posts in direct recruitment of teachers (out of the sanctioned strength) in central educational institutions. For purpose of such reservation, a central educational institution will be regarded as one unit. It moves away from earlier practice of treating 'Department / Subject' as one unit.
- Implementation: It considers University/ College as one unit restoring earlier reservation system based on 200 point roster. In this case, unit for reservation of posts in direct recruitment in teachers' cadre will be University/Educational Institutions and not Department.
- Coverage: These provisions will be application to all central educational institutions including those universities set up by Acts of Parliament, institutions deemed to be university, institutions of national importance, and institutions receiving aid from the central government.
- Exclusions: The provision of reversion will be not applicable to certain institutions of excellence, research institutions, and institutions of national and strategic importance specified in Schedule to this Bill. It also excludes minority education institutions.
It addresses long standing demands of persons belonging to SCs/STs/SEBCs and ensure their rights envisaged under Constitutional Provisions of Articles 14, 16 and 21. It will also ensure providing of 10% reservation to EWS. It gives major push to reforms in education sector, making it inclusive and keeping in mind the aspirations of the people from different categories.