Union Ministry of Power and Natural Gas (MoP&NG) has launched Ujjwala Utsav in New Delhi to celebrate success of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojna (PMUY).On this occasion PMUY anthem - Ujjwala Bharat Ujjwala - composed by singer Kailash Kher was also released. This anthem is aimed to reach Ujjwala message to every household in the country by its powerful and inspiring rendition
- It celebrated stellar role played by all the major stakeholders of the oil industry, including the district nodal officers, policy makers, distributors, and beneficiaries in making PMUY successful.
- Top three performers in three states -- Jammu and Kashmir, Chhattisgrah and Assam were acknowledged for garning highest LPG penetration figures and respective in-charge OMC officers were felicitated.
- Top 24 performing district nodal officers were also felicitated for their commendable work during Gram Swaraj Abhiyaan and Extended Gram Swaraj Abhiyaan in more than 50,000 villages pan India.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojna (PMUY)
- It was launched in May 2016 with an aim of empowering women and safeguard their health by shifting them from traditional cooking based on unclean cooking fuels or fossil fuels to clean cooking gas.
- It aims at providing clean-cooking fuel to poor households, who are otherwise exposed to vulnerable to various health hazards due to indoor air pollution caused by traditional fuels and bring qualitative charges in their living standards.
- It is first welfare scheme implemented by Ministry of Power and Natural Gas through OMCs.Its tagline is Swachh Indhan, Behtar Jeevan.
- Intended beneficiaries of this scheme is adult woman member of BPL family, who is given deposit-free LPG connection with financial assistance of Rs 1,600 per connection by the Centre.
- Its beneficiaries are identified through the Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC) in consultation with state governments and Union territories.