Government has decided to set up committee for development of regional transport aircraft for commercial use in the country. The committee will be tasked with creation of a special purpose vehicle (SPV) for development of regional transport aircraft. This is part of road map being prepared by Central Government to boost domestic manufacturing of aircraft.
- India is one of fastest growing domestic aviation markets in the world and many airlines have embarked on fleet expansion to cater to the rising passenger traffic.
- The fleet size of domestic airlines is set to increase twofold to 1,100 planes by 2027. This is further expected to increase to 2,359 planes by 2040.
- Currently, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) is the only entity that produces aircraft and helicopters for military and non-military purposes.
Measures to boost domestic manufacturing of aircrafts
- Government also has formed separate committee of experts to explore manufacturing of aircraft, helicopters and associated equipment within the country.
- Government is also planning to manufacture Regional Transport Aircraft (RTA) domestically under National Civil Aircraft Development (NCAD) programme.
- NCAD programme aims at developing of 90-seater aircraft in two phases namely, design and development phase and manufacturing phase.