Context: The Centre’s decisions of reorganising J&K as Union Territories, ending its special status under Article 370 and 35 (A) and extending to it all the provisions of the Constitution were endorsed by the Lok Sabha on Tuesday (6/08/2019).
- Reorganisation of Jammu and Kashmir: The Bill reorganises the state of Jammu and Kashmir into:
- The Union Territory of Ladakh (comprising Kargil and Leh districts), without a legislature
- The Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir (It will comprise the remaining territories of the existing state of Jammu and Kashmir) with a legislature
- Lieutenant Governor: Both the UTs will be administered by the President, through an administrator appointed by him/her known as the Lieutenant Governor.
- Legislative Assembly of Jammu and Kashmir:
- The Bill provides for a Legislative Assembly for the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The total number of seats in the Assembly will be 107 of these, 24 seats will remain vacant on account of certain areas of Jammu and Kashmir being under the occupation of Pakistan