National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL) has launched Quality Assurance Scheme for Basic Composite Medical Laboratories for sensitizing small laboratories to basic doable quality practices.
Quality Assurance Scheme for Basic Composite Medical Laboratories
- It is voluntary scheme. It is applicable to only laboratories performing only basic routine tests like blood glucose, blood counts, rapid tests for common infections, liver & kidney function tests and routine tests of urine.
- For availing benefits of this scheme, laboratories require minimal documentation and nominal fee for availing.
- It also ha provision for components of competence assessment for assuring quality and validity of test results.
- Successful laboratories will be issued certificate of compliance to QAS BC scheme.
- They will be also allowed to use distinct symbol on test reports as mark of endorsement of basic standard for defined time frame before which they will have to transition to full accreditation as per ISO 15189.
- Through this scheme, patients can avail services of small labs in primary health centers (PHCs), community health centers (CHCs), standalone small labs, doctor’s clinic, labs in small nursing homes will also have access to quality lab results.
- It will help to bring quality at grass root level of India’s health system where laboratories follow imperatives of quality in all their processes.
- It will help to inculcate habit of quality and facilitate laboratories to achieve benchmark accreditation of ISO 15189 over a period of time.
- It will also give a much needed support to Ayushmaan Bharat Yojana which plans to set up 1,50,000 wellness centers which will cover over 10 crore poor and vulnerable families.
National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL)
- It is constituent board of Quality Council of India (QCI) under Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- It is mutual recognition arrangement (MRA) signatory to International bodies such as International Laboratory Accreditation Co-operation (ILAC) and Asia Pacific Accreditation Co-operation (APAC) for accreditation of testing including medical and calibration laboratories.
- It is also having APAC Mutual Recognition Arrangement (MRA) for Reference Materials Producers (RMP) and Proficiency Testing Provider (PTP).
- NABL accredited laboratory results are accepted in more than 80 counties around the world.