India’s passport was ranked at 86th of the total 199 passports in Henley Passport Index (HPI) 2019 with mobility score of 58. India’s rank has improved from earlier 79th position in January 2019 HPI. India shared 86th position in July 2019 HPI with Mauritiana and Sao Tome and Principe. India’s score in July 2019 HPI points out that Indian passport holders can access (visa-free or visa-on-arrival travel) 58 countries around the world without prior visa.
About Henley Passport Index (HPI)
It is global ranking of countries according to the travel freedom for their citizens. It was started in 2006 as Henley & Partners Visa Restrictions Index (HVRI). It was modified and renamed to its present form in January 2018. It ranks passports based on number of countries holder can go to without visa or number of countries holder can go to where they can obtain visa, visitor’s permit, or electronic travel authority upon arrival. It shows that countries around world increasingly view visa openness as crucial to economic and social progress. It covers 199 passports and 227 travel destinations and is based on data provided by International Air Transport Authority (IATA).
Top powerful passports of the world
1. Japan, Singapore: Both countries have the world’s most powerful passports. Both have secured top position out of 199 countries. Their passports have visa-free or visa-on-arrival travel to 189 places.
2. Finland, Germany, South Korea: Citizens of all three countries have access to 187 destinations around the world without a prior visa.
3. Denmark, Italy, Luxembourg:
4. France, Spain, Sweden
5. Austria, Netherlands, Portugal, Switzerland
6. Belgium, Norway, Greece, Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom, United States
Global performance in July 2019 HPI