Union Government has approved proposal of setting up Centre for Disability Sports in Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh. It will function under the name of Centre for Disability Sports, Gwalior. It will be first specialized sports training facility in country for Divyangjans or Persons with Disabilities (PwDs).
Centre for Disability Sports, Gwalior
- It will be registered under Societies Registration Act, 1860. Its construction will be completed in two years by March 2021 and begin its operations from September 2021.
- It will create necessary improved sports infrastructure to ensure effective participation of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) in sports activities.
- It will also enable them to compete at national and international levels. It will also facilitate their integration in society
- Facilities: It will have outdoor athletic stadium, indoor sports complex, aquatic Centre having 2 swimming Pools, one covered pool and one outdoor pool.
- It will also have high performance centre with classrooms, medical facilities, sports science centre, hostel facilities for athletes, support facilities etc.
- These facilities will multi-functional centres with provision for training, selection, sports academics and research, medical support, spectator galleries and suitable for holding national and international events.
Sports identified for training in this Centre
- Integrated sports (Indoor): Badminton, Basketball, Table Tennis, Volleyball, Judo, Taekwondo, Fencing and Rugby.
- Adapted sports (Indoor): Boccia, Goalball, Football 5 a side, Para Dance Sport and Para Power Lifting;
- Integrated sports (Outdoor): Athletics, Archery, Football 7 a side and Tennis; and
- Integrated sports (Indoor & Outdoor): Swimming.
Section 30 of Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPwD) Act, 2016 mandates Central Government to take measures to ensure effective participation of PwDs in sports activities. It also includes provision of infrastructural facilities for sports activities for them. Union Finance Minister in his Budget Speech of 2014-15 announced setting up of Centre for disability sports. It was proposed to fill existing gaps in sporting infrastructure to allow persons with disabilities (Divyangjan) to undergo rigorous and specialized training.