Prime Minister Narendra Modi declared 'April 2019-March 2020' as Construction-Technology year in a bid to increase use of modern technology in the construction sector. He made this announcement after inaugurated of Construction Technology India-2019 Expo-cum-conference in New Delhi
Construction-Technology year (April 2019-March 2020)
- It seeks to give emphasises to the important role of advanced technology to meet the increasing demand for housing in the country caused by rapid urbanization.
- It also aims to give housing sector new pace by using latest technologies available in the world. This in long run will lead to integration of modern technology in housing and construction sector which make it more dynamic and vibrant.
PM Modi also launched
- GHTC-India mobile application: It is interactive platform for all stakeholders for exchange of knowledge on innovation and alternative housing technologies.
- 3rd edition of Vulnerability Atlas of India: It is collation of the existing hazard scenario of the entire country.
Construction Technology India-2019
- It was aimed at identifying innovative and globally established technologies that can be used in the Indian context. It was organised by Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs.
- It provided common platform to developers, academia, technology providers, researchers etc.
- Technologies identified during this event will be invited to design and build lighthouse projects of around one thousand affordable housing units each in seven states viz. Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Jharkhand, Tripura and Uttar Pradesh.
India is among the few countries where demand for houses is increasing at rapid pace due to urbanization. Government has given major thrust on affordable housing to meet growing housing demand and also has brought changes in laws governing real estate sector. Government is implementing programmes such as Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana, National Urban Livelihoods Mission, HRIDAY, AMRUT and Smart Cities to facilitate urgent needs of country's fast urbanization.