Context: The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind landed in Conakry, Guinea, on August 1, 2019 in the final leg of his visit to – Benin, The Gambia and Guinea.
- He became the first Head of State/Head of Government from India to visit Guinea.
- President said that India is keen to upgrade and enhance its political relations with Guinea.
- In keeping with the importance India attaches to enhance its ties, it has opened Indian Embassy in Conakry in January this year
- The President said that India is committed to strengthen economic ties with Guinea in support of Guinea’s National Development Plan.
- India has provided financial assistance for projects identified by Guinea in the energy, health and transportation sectors, including regional hospitals projects.
- India extended a new Line of Credit of US$ 170 million for Conakry Water Supply Project.
- He was happy to note that India is among the top trading partners of Guinea.
- He said that India’s growth and Guinea’s natural strengths complement each other.
- Indian companies are keen to invest in Guinea, especially in the mining, infrastructure, health and pharmaceutical sectors.
- The President said that India appreciates Guinea’s leading role in the affairs of the African Union especially in dealing with issues of peace, security and stability in West African nations.
- He stated that terrorism is one of the gravest threats to humanity today and we must work together to strengthen the global fight against this evil.
- Both sides reaffirmed their commitment to reformed multilateralism and for comprehensive reforms of the UN Security Council (UNSC) to make it more representative, accountable, transparent, inclusive and effective.
- President Alpha Conde conveyed support for India’s candidacy as non-permanent member of the UN Security Council for the term 2021 – 2022.
- The two Presidents witnessed the signing and exchange of MOUs on:
- MoU between the Government of the Republic of Guinea and the Government of the Republic of India on cooperation in the field of traditional system of medicine and homeopathy
- MoU between the Government of the Republic of Guinea and the Telecommunications Consultants India Limited for Participation in the e-VBAB Network Project
- MoU between the Government of the Republic of Guinea and the Government of the Republic of India on cooperation in the field of renewable energy