US President Donald Trump on Thursday formally launched the Space Command, which is expected to defend America’s vital interests in “the next war-fighting domain”.
Just like land, air, sea, and cyber as vital war-fighting domains, and space will be treated as an independent region overseen by a new unified geographic combatant command. It recognises the centrality of space to America’s national security and defence.
Existing war Domains
- This U.S. Military doctrine recognizes at least five dimensions, or 'domains of warfare' for which it is responsible. They are:
- Gen John W Raymond will be the commander of the US Space Command, which has been established as the 11th Unified Combatant Command of the American armed forces.
- The Space Command will soon be followed by establishment of the United States Space Force as the sixth branch of the United States Armed Forces.
Effects of Space command
- It is criticised that it will drain resources and create needless red tape. And there are additional disagreements, including how to define “war fighting” in space and partisan bickering.
- This would weaponise outer space which will be a great threat to the idea of free outer space usage.