Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE) became the first shipyard in the country to deliver 100 warships. Its 100th warship landing craft utility (LCU) L-56 was recently handed over to Indian Navy. 100 warships built by GRSE so far range from anti-submarine warfare corvettes to advanced frigates to fleet tankers, fast attack crafts, etc for Indian Navy and Indian Coast Guard.
Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE)
- It is defence PSU having Miniratna status functioning under Union Ministry of Defence.
- It is one of India’s leading state-owned shipyards. It is located in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- It builds and repairs commercial and naval vessels for Indian Navy and Coast Gaurd. It also exports ships to friendly countries.
- It was established in 1884 as small privately owned company on Hooghly River in Kolkata. It was nationalised by Government in 1960.
- The first vessel delivered to the Navy was INS Ajay in 1961. It was seaward defence boat. Since then it has played key role in national security of country.
- It has built all kinds of vessels ranging from 5-tonne fast-interceptor crafts to 24,600-tonne fleet tanker INS Aditya,
- Currently it is building three large stealth frigates for Indian Navy with latest gas-turbine propulsion systems under P17A Project.